The Blizzard Core Program is for all players U9 to U12 that have graduated from our Roots Program and any other players that want to compete in the Calgary Minor Soccer League (CMSA).
- Participation in Calgary Minor Soccer Association (CMSA) Outdoor Soccer League for Tiers 1 – 6
- Participants received a combination of CMSA organized games, team practices and Blizzard technical training (certain tiers only).
- The technical training for tiers 1 through 3 is developed and directed by our Foundation Phase Technical Director Craig Angus, formally with the Vancouver Whitecaps and New York Red Bulls. Technical training for lower tiers is optional and at an additional cost.
- All technical training programs are held at Calgary West Soccer Centre and Calgary North Soccer Centre.
- Program runs from October to March, and dependent upon the player’s tier, games can be scheduled any day of the week.
What is Blizzard Core?
- The Blizzard Core program builds on the key fundamental skills learnt in our Roots program.
- High emphasis on individual skill development in line with the Blizzard Approach to Development.
- Players will now look to incorporate the 1v1 game into our game model in synergy with the Orange Way of Playing.
- Developing players that:
(1) Continue to grow a Passion for the Game
(2) Develop and Use Mastery over the Ball to dominate 1v1 Situations
(3) Understand how working as Groups of Players is important in developing an aptitude to play the game.
- The Core Program will ensure our players have a foundation to potentially reach higher levels of play.
- Team coaches are provided direction and guidance on the Core curriculum through our Orange Way development philosophy. For curriculum details and information on our player pathway please download our program guide.
Calendar and CMSA League Structure:
Official CMSA Calendar – For specific dates for all ages and tiers please click here: CMSA Calendar
Official CMSA League Structure – For specific league game days and number of games for each age group and tier please click here: CMSA League Structure
Player Time Commitment
|Age||Tier||Practices / Week||Games / Week (approx.)||Technical Sessions|
|U9-U10||Tier A & B||1 – 90 min per week minimum||1 or 2 – 60 min game per week||12 – 90 min sessions|
|U9-U10||Tier C & D||1 – 90 min per week minimum||1 or 2 – 60 min game per week||Optional|
|U11-U12||Tier 1||1 – 90 min per week minimum||1 or 2 – 60 min game per week||20 – 90 min sessions|
|U11-U12||Tier 2||1 – 90 min per week minimum||1 or 2 – 60 min game per week||16 – 90 min sessions|
|U11||Tier 3||1 – 90 min per week minimum||1 or 2 – 60 min game per week||12 – 90 min sessions|
|U12||Tier 3||1 – 90 min per week minimum||1 or 2 – 60 min game per week||12 – 90 min sessions|
|U11-U12||Tier 4-6||1 – 90 min per week minimum||1 or 2 – 60 min game per week||Optional|
|GKs||All||2 – 60 min per month minimum|
Registration and Fees
For information on fees and to join our Club please visit our website under Registration.
Blizzard wants every child to have the opportunity to play soccer, regardless of a family’s economic situation and encourages anyone requiring financial assistance to apply to Kidsport Calgary prior to registration at www.kidsport.ab.ca. Parents should also feel free to contact Jackie Martin, our operations manager, to discuss other financial options.
Where We Train
During the outdoor season, Blizzard teams have their technical training at Inland Athletic Park. For team practices, teams will utilize various practice fields throughout NW Calgary depending on their age group and tier.
During the indoor season, Blizzard teams have their technical training at Field 4(Turf) at the Calgary West Soccer Centre on Bearspaw Dam Road NW. Teams will also utilize various practice gyms throughout NW Calgary depending on their age group and tier.