Calgary North Soccer Centre (CNSC)
- 1515 Home Rd NW, Calgary, AB T3B 0V8
- 1817 Crowchild Trail NW
After the evaluation process is complete, players will be emailed by the Management and Leadership Team with team placement details, including coach, team name, tier, game days (if set by CMSA) and technical training dates, Players will continue to be assessed by coaches and staff throughout the season, it is an ongoing process; any that we feel have been initially misplaced will be moved to the correct team.
In the event that a player feels that they have been misplaced, after the conclusion of pre-season, an appeal form can be completed and sent to Jackie Martin, our Operations Manager, who will review and pass along to our technical staff. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
General Overview of the Evaluation Process
Depending on the age group and tier, there will be a series of tryout sessions scheduled. Some groups may have more sessions than others.
Tryouts for indoor will be primarily held at the Calgary West Soccer Centre (sometimes we use all four fields, sometimes just Field 4). Depending on the weather there may be a few sessions held outdoors, at Inland Athletic Park.
For indoor tryouts, please remember to bring both indoor and outdoor shoes. Any sessions held on Fields 1 through 3 at the Calgary West Soccer Centre require indoor shoes. Field 4 is turf, therefore either indoor or outdoor shoes can be worn.
Our Technical Directors, Brendan O’Connell (our Sporting Director), Diogo Raposo (girls TD), Craig Angus (boys TD), as well as our support technical coaches, oversee the evaluations.
Tryouts are only part of the team selection process, other factors are considered:
- Technical staff observation and evaluation from the previous season
- Individual Player Competencies (IPC’S) observed during the two-stage evaluation, comprised of both skill sessions and small-sided games
- Coach Evaluation from previous season
- All of the above components make up the evaluation
Upon completion of tryouts, you will receive an email from the Management and Leadership team, with your team placement information. Calgary Blizzard SC reserves the right to combine age groups if deemed appropriate in order to place like minded players together.
1. What are the evaluators looking for?
Players are evaluated on the below Individual Player Competencies (IPC).
2. Who is evaluating on the field?
Our Technical Directors and other staff will oversee the tryouts. The evaluators are the Technical Directors and support staff. None of them, aside from the Technical Directors, will either coach at this age group or have a child on the field.
3. I am concerned that one of the evaluators on the field does not like my child. Will that impact my child’s placement?
There are a minimum of two evaluators per field, however please keep in mind tryouts only form part of the team selection process. Coaches have ranked their players and technical staff have also watched many teams this year making note of player performance. All these components are considered when placing players at their correct level.
4. We have just received a tryout time and my child can’t make a certain date, does it matter?
Most age groups and tiers have more than one tryout. If you are unable to make your invited time, please don’t worry but try to make an effort for your child to attend a future session. If you are a new player to the Club, it is important to try and make all evaluations as possible as the history component will not be available and we want to ensure they get placed at the correct level.
5. Why are there four different fields and why is my son/daughter not with his/her friend?
The evaluators are running small-sided games; we can only fit so many players on one field. Potentially, we will move some players between fields during the evaluation but this will be the exception to the norm.
6. My child has been invited to a tryout but their friend, who is trying for the same age and tier was not invited, what does this mean?
You are to only attend the tryouts that your child has been invited to. Some players may be called to more sessions than their peers as we may want to have a better look at their ability.
7. Can I challenge my child’s placement?
Once the teams have been formed, if you are not happy with your child’s placement you may appeal their placement by completing the Player Placement Appeal Form and emailing it to email@example.com. The Technical Team will review all appeals and will communicate the results directly. All appeals must follow this process or they will not be considered.
8. My child should be on a higher tier and was placed on a lower tier, I plan to go to another club and want to get my money back, who do I talk to?
After your child has attended tryouts, there is a no refund policy unless there is a medical reason. Please consider this carefully prior to registering with multiple clubs.